Posted by: Home & Garden Showplace
Now that you're mowing the lawn about once a week it's important that you're also making sure it will be healthy for your weekly meeting. Here are a few tips to make sure it's in tip-top shape:
- Have your lawn mower blades sharpened before the mowing season begins (Did you?) and check them every month. Sharp blades make a clean cut, whereas dull blades make ragged cuts that don't heal well.
- Never mow wet grass. If it has just rained or it's still wet from morning dew, wait a few hours until the sun has dried up some of the moisture.
- Trim before you mow. Then when you mow the grass it will clean up the trimmings!
- As a guideline, cut off about 1/3 of the grass blades. If you keep your grass longer in the summer, wait until it grows about an inch before mowing.
- To establish a green lawn that's the envy of your neighbors, try using an iron supplement from your local nursery.